I served them with a red onion,tomato and baby gem lettuce garnish and a sweet imli (tamrind) sauce.
These are delicious pastries filled with your choice of filling.Traditionally the filling is potatoes and some other sort of vegetable,usually peas,or it is potato and keema (mince).
I made these a vegetarian dish..
For my filling i used peas,spinach and potatoes and a mix of spices.
This mix should be enough for twenty,a little extreme i know!
3lb Plain flour
1/2lb Butter (room temp)
Pinch of salt
A pinch of loveage seed
Luke warm water to bind the dough
In a bowl add all of the dry ingredients. Then add the butter and rub into the flour until you have a sandy textured mix.Slowly add the luke warm water until a elasticy dough is formed.
cover with a wet tea toweland set aside int he fridge for 30 minutes.
400g potatoes (maris piper or another fluffy potato nothing to waxy)
50g root ginger
Large pinch of toasted cumin seeds
Large pinch of Brown mustard seeds
Large pinch of garam masala
Large pinch of chopped corriander
Large pinch of salt
- Peel and washt he potatoes. Cut into large chunks and boil until soft.
- Drain and allow to cool.
- When cooled add mash with your hands making sure it is not to smooth
- Add the rest of the ingredients (you may want to wilt the spinach before hand)
- Make golf ball sized balls out of the dough.
- Roll out to about 6 inches
- cut in half
- make a cone out of these half moon shapes
- fill with your filling and seal with the last edge (Use a slurry of flour and water as a lue to keep theedges sealed.
- Deep fry until golden brown