Friday 4 June 2010

The forbidden fruit....Quince.

In today's news,readers, I bring you the story of the vicious unprovoked attack on a young foodie.

Yes it is true, I was attacked by a Quince.

Not a beautifully fragrant fruit,but a fiery fiend from the gates of hell.



But i give as good as i get,sticky stitches and florescent orange plasters were retaliated with...Vanilla pods,poaching and the freezer.

In the end, both parties came to a mutual agreement,of vanilla and Quince sorbet to be enjoyed by all.

you heard right,Quince and vanilla Sorbet,Drool all you wish,because it was delicious.

They say no pain,means no gain,and well,its true Folks.

Quinces aren't very British,to my knowledge,but they were in convent garden,shipped from china,so I just had to have some.It's all because I had this Quince jelly once with my crackers and cheese,and it was AMAZING!

So I had to take it one step further.They almost taste like Rose,well i've got bad hay fever,so I am guessing they taste like rose,Somebody is bound to correct me (i hope).

So lets get down to Business .


For this Sorbet you will need,

4 Ripe Quince (you can tell when a quince is ripe because they smell amazing,they dont go soft,or change in colour to my 1 off experience)
1 tbsp caster sugar
1 cup of water
Half a vanilla pod

For the Sorbet syrup you will need:
1 cup of water
1/4 cup of caster sugar
You don't need a ice cream machine for this.
I don't have one any more! so I just used a fork and gave my sorbet a quick stir every now and then.



Peel,core and quarter your Quince.
You have to be quick because the fruit discolours super quick.
In a pan heat the water & sugar,until dissolved.Slit a vanilla pod in half and scrape the seeds,and add the seeds and pod to the water.Add the quince and cover with a lid until soft,
Then the magic happens,when you remove the lid after about
25 minutes,the quince have turned a beautiful reddy/pink!


When the fruit is soft,remove the vanilla pod,and leave to dry.remove the fruit and purée.
this is where I cheated, again, I made half the amount of the sorbet syrup,and used the poaching liquid!
it's all flavour, I say!
Then find a suitable container and allow the mix to chill,when chilled,place in the freezer.every half hour or so, agitate the mix with a fork to break down the ice crystals, to give you a smoother sorbet.
Or,you lucky people with ice cream machines,place in your machine and churn until done .


Now please,just take a moment to absorb the awesomeness of my ASDA own brand ice cream scoop.
I bought a Chrome look scoop for £5 odd.
Which turned out to be as useful as a chocolate fire guard,thank your very much tesco's...NOT!


13 comments:

Brownieville Girl said...

Man oh man that looks wonderful - wish I had a big tub of it in my freezer now!!

Unknown said...

yum! cute blog! happy SITS saturday.

i do not think I have ever eaten a quince before.... now i am curious.

M D said...

Yum, that sorbet looks good. Nice color too. I love quince, but never experimented them much in desserts.

Encore Bride said...

That looks so good, it would certainly help with the 118 degrees weather we are having today in Iraq! Happy Saturday SITS Sharefest!

Miel Abeille said...

That sorbet looks like it must smell and taste incredibly refreshing -- and so easy to make!

Thanks for visiting me at Miel et Lait! I'll be back here soon!

M @ Betty Crapper said...

I wonder where I can find quince in South Florida. I've never had that fruit and you've inspired me to try and find one.

Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest. Have a wonderful weekend!

ann low said...

I think I saw this "Quinces"before in the supermarket. I thought there are pears. I'll definitely like to try this for sure.

Choclette said...

That sorbet does look good. Quinces are a pain to use, but they have such a beautiful smell when cooking and a wonderful colour. I find the easiest thing is to make jelly with them. They do grow in Britain, but probably not commercially.

Nancy said...

You're so funny:) Great recipe, sounds very refreshing.

CoconutPalmDesigns said...

That sorbet looks amazing. I don't think we get quince here in Belize but I am going to try your trick of making sorbet without the ice cream maker. I think I'll try mango!

Stopping by from SITS to welcome you!

Cheers :-)
- CoconutPalmDesigns

Bigarade said...

Brownieville - your comments make my day! thankyou so much!

Crystal - Happy SITS saturday to you to,though i am late! curiosity is good!

MD - if its edile,you can put it in a dessert :P

Encore bride - Iraq :O My god you have to be the furthest commenter i have! thanks :D

Miel Abeille - im now a regular visitor i love it! the sorbet was dreamy! :D

Betty crapper- Best username ever!! lol well erm im guesing you can get it over there. i would post you some,but theyl probably rot!

Anncoo - they are kinda like a pear but very firm, don't taste anything like a pear though

choclette - ah thanks,im going to be checking out farms now! & they do smell delicious! quince jelly sounds lush!

spicie: thanks ,one does try :)

coconutpalm: belize :O oh mango sorbet made with alphonso mangoes is divine! thanks for dropping by!

Thankyou all for your comments,they fuel my madness :D

Scrappy Coco said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Babes about Town said...

This just looks delicious and so refreshing on a day like today. I do need to get more adventurous in the kitchen and summer's a great time to start.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails